OBBHA Adult (Men, Women, Mixed) Rules and Regulations
- 4 minute warm-up, three 18-minute periods with one minute break between periods for the goalies.
- 4 on 4.
- Ball is always live.
- No off-side.
- No face-off at any time.
- Slap shots are not allowed (see next note below)...*New Spring 2017
- Any stick above the waist for wind up, follow throughs will result in loss of possession. (if a player does this multiple times he will be warned that the next time a penalty shot will be awarded).
- -High sticking the ball over the shoulder (not waist) is a penalty shot...and the play is whistled dead immediately on contact with the ball
- Penalties = Standard hockey infractions will result in a quick whistle for change of possession (6 feet is awarded between ball and oponents stick before play is whistled in)
- Half-court is given after a goal.
- To start a game or period or after a goal is scored, the designated team takes the ball behind their own net and waits for the Game Manager to whistle the `game on`. The defending team must be on their own side of the centre line until the play is whistled for `game on`. At this point the defending team may cross the centre line to forecheck and the offensive team can pass, shoot or run with the ball. The play is live on the whistle!
- Regular hockey sticks are permitted. However for the French Palace gym (wood floor), there is a white tape policy. The stick must have a full wrap of white tape from heel to toe so that none of the bottom of the stick is exposed (no longer acceptable is just the strip along the bottom)...*New Spring 2017. This is not required for the Blue Gym for tournaments which has a rubberized floor.
- An orange ball is used...water-filled for the Xmas Classic tournament for less bounce (all gyms) and the CBHA ball in the French Palace for any league play for better ball control skills
- Any infraction the Game Manager sees as dangerous/malicious intent/unsportsmanlike/etc. will result in a yellow card warning or an automatic red card ejection (your Game Managers job is protect the integrity of the game and the players, therefore a Zero tolerance for trouble makers). Note that a second yellow card issued to the same player in the same game results in a game ejection. Any further discipline will be issued by the league executive. WARNING: All Rules Will Be Strictly Enforced To Ensure The 4 Fs Motto!!!
- 1 Yellow = 1 card / also = to 1 penalty shot
1 Red = 2 cards / also = to 2 penalty shots
- -Second Yellow to a player = automatic game ejection
- -Instances where multiple penalty shots add up . They will be instituted
-Any derogatory comment overheard by the GM will result in a yellow or red card
-If the GM does not know who said it the yellow or red card will be given to the team captain in his absence the GM will hand it out to the next designated captain and so on if necessary
-The OBBHA has the 4-F motto of Fun, Fitness, Friendship and Fair-play
-And the 3-D Rule is called Dangerous, Damaging and Dumb
-This rule is concerning slamming ones stick onto the gym floor/benches/or any other object for any reason
-it is Dangerous as a blade can break and fly off and hurt someone, Damaging to the gym floor/equipment etc. and obviously just plain Dumb!
-An automatic Yellow Card will be assessed with a Game Managers option of calling a Red Card
-We are tracking players and suspensions will apply as follow
4 cards = 1-game suspension
7 cards = 2-game suspension
10 cards = suspension from session and further review for participation in future sessions
Also if a player receives a red card in the third period he receives an automatic game suspension for the next game (this one will carry over into the next session as well if the infraction takes place in the finals
-Anything deemed a violent act by the GM will result in suspension
-There will be no negotiating calls or suspensions
-zero tolerance for anything negative overheard (sportsmanship first)
-Basically, only the Game Managers voice is heard
Your Game Managers and OBBHA organizers are your friends and should be treated so.
- They are here to ensure your safety and enjoyment of the game.
They will make a mistake or two, no need to point it out or you will be yellow or red carded
- You are playing the OBBHA product to test your endurance not the Game Managers patience
- Crease rule in A-Div gym will be expanded to any foot in the blue paint up to the red line. Any opponent that goes in that area without the presence of the ball will be whistled down for a change of possession.
- In the B-Div gym the Game Manager will show players the area that is restricted
- Top 4 Seeds play one another in Round Robin followed by a re-seed for final placement
- Seeds 5,7,9 and 6,8,10 are placed in 2 pools and play 3 cross-over games. Followed by a re-seed for 5th,7th and 9th place match ups.
Tie-breaker formula as follows:
- Total Wins
- Head to Head
- Goal Diferential (Total GF-GA) then (Total GF-GA between the teams head to head games)
- Least # of Cards per team
- Coin Toss
Any team that forfeits a game or is given a game forfeit by the Game Manager, automatically loses the game 5-0 and loses all tie-breakers for the remainder of that session.
-Additionally if a team does not give 48 hour notice of a forfeit, the team captain automatically receives a Red Card